Adult Ribbed Lily jumper in Yarn Barn 8-ply

Posted on August 27th, 2012

Finally! It took over 3 months on needles, but the Adult Ribbed Lily, based on Georgie Hallam’s Oriental Lily pattern, is finally finished – and the results are just lovely. For this project, I chose Yarn Barn’s 8 ply merino in Teal, bought at the Geelong craft market in summer. This yarn is a little splitty to work with, but it has a beautiful lustre. With the pattern, I chose to knit it in 2 x 2 rib rather than garter stitch to give it a lot of horizontal stretch, but employed the basic top-down raglan approach of the Oriental Lily. I added waist shaping after the bust crossover, and lots of increases for the hips. The edging was done in a single row of double crochet.

Adult Ribbed Lily

Adult Ribbed Lily

Lilypad Arduino LightScarf

Posted on July 11th, 2011

Working with Lilypad Arduino is something I’ve wanted to try for a while now – but simply haven’t found the time! Knowing that BarCampGeelong was only a few weeks away spurred me into action. First, I read up on the Lilypad Arduino tutorials from Leah Buechley. Running Ubuntu, I had already installed the Arduino IDE from the software manager, so I was good to go.

So, what sort of project was simple enough to allow me to get the hang of this new technology while still presenting enough of a challenge to be interesting? I decided on a scarf that would detect light levels, with the aim of turning on some bright white LEDs if light levels were too low.

First, I needed a scarf. I decided on this Dropped! lace openwork pattern so that the components could be sewn in with conductive thread and not look out of place. I also thought about what type of material to make the scarf out of – in case any of the electronic components overheated and melted or caught on fire. I chose a 98% wool blend – ‘Beulah’ by Sean Sheep – nice and cheap too in case the project didn’t work out.

Next, I needed some Arduino Lilypad components – which are now available in Australia from Little Bird Electronics. For this project, I used;

Then, I needed some Arduino code to read in the light sensor and do the logic for turning on the LEDs – you can get the code from my page on GitHub. Once the Arduino board was programmed, it was time to sew in the components with conductive thread. It was here that some problems arose. My original plan was to have 5 LEDs on the scarf, which all lit up at the same time. When sewing the conductive thread, I found that I could only sew in one LED to the -tive terminal (ground) petal on the Lilypad Arduino.
NOTE: Andy Gelme (@Geekscape) has since given me some advice on working around this, by finding alternative methods to ground the LEDs. I just haven’t implemented it yet!
The other problem was that due to the openwork design of the scarf itself, some of the conductive thread was prone to crossing – which meant that the circuit didn’t work as designed. I unpicked the thread and it was resewn, with care given to making sure the wire did not cross.
The presentation given to BarCampGeelong can be found on Slideshare here;

UPDATED: Photos!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyreid/sets/72157627158152752/

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Classic ruffles scarf

Posted on February 8th, 2011

Having had a bit of time on my hands lately, I was looking for a fun and easy project that didn’t require too much concentration. This scarf, constructed almost entirely of garter stitch – was the perfect candidate.

Using one strand each of Habu Stainless Steel and K1 Linen, I cast on roughly 200 stitches, then knit 10 rows. On the next row, I K1M1, essentially doubling the number of stitches on the needle. After another 10 rows, the stitches were again doubled, and so on, until ending up with 800 stitches on needles and roughly 40 rows. After casting off, the edges were finished with double crochet just to even them up again.

The final touch was a lovely pearl brooch – and voila! – a classic ruffle scarf done using garter stitch and increases.

DSC_5259

DSC_5258

Next Page »
© Klog: Kathy Reid’s Blog • Powered by Wordpress • Using the Swiss Cool theme.